Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Confession

Since Captain Chaos was born, a little over one year ago, my garden has gone to pot. (Not that kind. Put down the phone.) It was beautiful - and bountiful! - last year, but something had to give this year, and the garden drew the short straw.

Unfortunately, I'd spent the year before Chaos was born conditioning the (very neglected) soil in the garden, so when I let it go, the weeds and crabgrass feasted on roughly 500 litres of compost and are now doing very well, thank you.

Now that Chaos is big enough to "help" out in the garden, I'm back, trying to get 'er done. It's a big project, and I'm not making any promises, with Little Brother due in about 8ish weeks, but I'm going to do what I can, and if all we can plant is one bed next spring, I'll consider that a success. If nothing else, I get the satisfaction of getting my hands back into the dirt. Ahhhh...

Here follows a visual confession of my negligence - and an idea of what I've got in store for myself.


Our three apple trees...thankfully unaffected.


The only potatoes this year, growing out of one of the compost piles...heh heh...

Strawberries, lavender, peppers, spring onions, daisies. Sigh..

Cucumbers, pumpkins, melons, zucchini

To the left of the chokecherry bush was my potato patch. In front was lettuce, spinach, and kale. And a bit of Chaos.



The de riguer gratuitious shot of my helpy helper, making sure the apples are ripe.


" Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out."

No comments:

Post a Comment