Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

NaBloPoMo FAIL. Sort of.

This isn't fiction. It's real life. Sigh.

Tonight, I held Captain Chaos in my arms and rocked him long past the time when he fell asleep. I find myself doing this more often these days. It's not neccessary anymore - at least, it's not for him. But I know this time is drawing to a close, and I find myself wanting to savour every last second of it.

Every day my little guy takes another step (sometimes literally) towards independence. The things he learns and the pace that he's learning them at astound me. I'm so proud of him. Today, when he looked up from his little red barn and took two steps into my arms, he probably made me the happiest person in the entire world.

I watch as he races through his days, devouring all the sights and sounds and experiences (and food) he can handle. It's amazing. Sometimes I scoop him up as he careens past, just for a quick kiss and a snuggle. We play together, and then he's off on another adventure.

I know that he'll need me for a long time to come yet. But this particular ritual, which I've cherished so much, is coming to an end. I can see from here.

 So I sit, just a little bit longer, with my special little guy sleeping away on my shoulder, and I rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment